Friday, January 6, 2012

Top 10 Favourite Motorcycles (Touring)

All this recent talk about motorcycles (pardon the forthcoming pun) got my gears turning.  Perhaps it was time to make another list (t'is the season, after all…)  So, I present to you: My Favourite Motorcycles.  Now, since motorcycles come in many different shapes and sizes, I figured that rather than lump them all in together, I would separate them by style and go from there.  And, just to make things even more complicated, the lists will be sort of a list-within-a-list as well, starting with my least favourite style of bike and working towards my favourite.  So, with that in mind…

Top 10 Touring Motorcycles

Now, just because this is my least favourite style, doesn't mean I hate them.  Sure, they're not really for me, but that doesn't mean they suck.  I'm still at an age where I'm willing to sacrifice a bit of comfort for a lot more style and performance.  But that doesn't mean someday I won't be in the mood for what is essentially a La-Z-Boy on wheels.  Wind protection, comfortable seats, relaxed riding ergonomics, plenty of luggage space?  Touring bikes certainly have their place (especially for long trips) and as such, I won't say that one will never someday appear in my garage.  If An American Tail taught me anything, it's that you should never say never.  Or, if you're a girl under the age of 13 (or Randy) feel free to replace 'An American Tail' with 'Justin Bieber'.  The message stays the same, either way.

I also excluded bikes that might technically be considered 'Touring' bikes (ie: BMW GS bikes) but are more commonly defined under a different category (ie: Adventure Bikes) as I don't want to have the same bike appear on multiple lists.  Cool?  Cool.

I'm also listing some noteworthy features for each bike.  But, just because a bike doesn't list a feature, doesn't mean the bike doesn't have it.  Rather, the bike's website simply didn't list it prominently enough.  For all I know every touring bike has heated grips, and it's such old news that they don't even bother listing it is a feature anymore.  But I wasn't going to dig for hours to try to find every feature for every bike, so if it wasn't easy to find, it isn't listed.

Now, without further adieu, here they are:




















10. Moto Guzzi California Vintage
Engine: 1064cc V-Twin
Power: 72.4 hp
Torque: 69.3 ft lbs
Weight: 580 lbs (dry)
MSRP: $15,490




















9. Yamaha FJR 1300
Engine: 1298cc Inline Four
Power: 145 hp
Torque: 99.1 ft lbs
Weight: 642 lbs (wet)
Noteworthy: ABS, heated grips
MSRP: $16,999




















8. Kawasaki Concours 14
Engine: 1352cc Inline Four
Power: 154.2 hp
Torque: 102.5 ft lbs
Weight: 670 lbs (without bags)
Noteworthy: keyless ignition, traction control, tire pressure monitor, ABS
MSRP: $18,999




















7. Honda VFR 1200F
Engine: 1237cc V4
Power: 170 hp
Torque: 95.1 ft lbs
Weight: 610 lbs (wet)
Noteworthy: 12v socket, Heated Grips, ABS
MSRP: $18,299




















6. Triumph Sprint ST
Engine: 1050cc Inline Triple
Power: 128 hp
Torque: 80 ft lbs
Weight: 590 lbs (wet)
Noteworthy: 12v socket
MSRP: $14,699




















5. Kawasaki Vulcan 1700 Voyager
Engine: 1700cc V-Twin
Power: 72.4 hp
Torque: 100.3 ft lbs
Weight: 886 lbs (wet)
Noteworthy: cruise control, stereo system, optional ABS
MSRP: $20,299




















4. Victory Cross Country Tour
Engine: 1731cc V-Twin
Power: 97 hp
Torque: 109 ft lbs
Weight: 845 lbs (dry)
Noteworthy: ABS, cruise control, heated handgrips, heated seats, 12v socket
MSRP: $23,999




















3. Harley-Davidson Ultra Classic Electra Glide
Engine: 1690cc V-Twin
Power: 75 hp
Torque: 99.6 ft lbs
Weight: 910 lbs (wet)
Noteworthy: 12v socket, cruise control, ABS
MSRP: $24,419




















2. Honda GL 1800 Gold Wing
Engine: 1832cc Flat Six
Power: 96 hp
Torque: 103 ft lbs
Weight: 919 lbs (wet)
Noteworthy: Integrated GPS, surround sound stereo, ABS, heated grips, heated seats, foot warming system, slow-speed reverse system, cruise control. tire pressure monitor, optional airbag
MSRP: $29,999




















1. BMW K 1600 GTL
Engine: 1649cc Inline Six
Power: 160 hp
Torque: 129 ft lbs
Weight: 767 lbs (wet)
Noteworthy: ABS
MSRP: $23,200



This was a tough list.  Mostly because I'm not really passionate about any of these bikes.  As such, I had to determine what this list actually was.  Was it the bike I would actually buy if I could only choose one from the list?  No, because then it would be the Triumph.  But that's more of a sport-touring bike, and really, if I was buying a bike solely to tour on, it wouldn't be comfortable enough.  I would only buy it if these were the only choices available, because it's the lightest and sportiest, and I would want a bike that more closely matched what I ride now.  But not because I'd want to tour on it.  If I could have have two bikes in my garage, one for touring and any other one I wanted, then I wouldn't pick the Triumph for either spot.

So, then was is it the very best touring bike?  No, because then it would be the Gold Wing.  There's just nothing with more features or more comfort on two-wheel that exists on the planet today.  But it's still too dull and ugly and bulky for me to actually say that it's my favourite.

Which bringst us to the BMW.  Not quite as feature-laden or comfortable as the Gold Wing, and not quite as light and sporty as the Triumph.  But it's a great mix of both.  And if I was actually putting down money to have a bike that I would only ever tour on, this would be it.  And that sounds like a favourite to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment