Friday, July 23, 2010

Man Crush #8: Jason Lee

Best Known For: My Name is Earl

Let me start out by saying that I get religion.  I do.  Even though I don't embrace it, I do understand why there are so many people that do.  There's a lot of unanswered questions out there, and for some people religion provides satisfactory enough answers to those questions.  So, although I am decidedly not a religious man, I rarely take issue with those that are.  I'm very much a 'whatever makes you happy…' kind of guy.

By now you're probably wondering what this has to do with Man Crushes.  Well, I only mention it so that you know that, in spite of my general religious tolerance, I've chosen to use these next words anyways: Scientology is stupid. 

It just is. 

And that's why my mighty heart was shattered into a million pieces the day I found out that Jason Lee had joined this so-called religion.  You see, ever since I saw Mallrats in 1998, Jason Lee was practically the reason that this list was invented.  In fact, along with Inspector Gadget (1984-1987), Michelangelo* (1988-1991) Arnold Schwarzenegger (1992-1995) and Shawn Kemp (1996-1998), Jason Lee is one of the few people that can claim to have held the number 1 spot on this list (1998-2000), a spot that has been dominated for over a decade by it's current title holder.

And that's no small feat, especially considering that 2 of the names on that list are fictional cartoon characters, and the other 2 names didn't even crack the Top 25 on this current list.

Of course, some might argue that my love of Jason Lee is tied very much to the hip of my love for Kevin Smith.  And I'd be lying if I said it wasn't.  Although Lee was a semi-well-known professional skateboarder at the time, it's pretty safe to say that Smith 'discovered' him by taking a chance and casting him as the main comedic character in his big studio follow up to the infamous Clerks.  And you could also pretty safely say that without the banter-driven dialogue penned by Smith himself, and inherent to all his films, said character would have fallen a little flat (although box office numbers would suggest that it did anyway…) and Lee would have had to go crawling back to the half pipe.


But the thing about Jason Lee, and what had him reigning supreme in my mind during the late 90's, is that he took the Kevin Smith dialogue and added his secret ingredient: the Jason Lee delivery.  I don't know if I can explain it, and even if I could, you'd still either love it or be pretty m-eh about it.  So I'm not going to bother.  Just know, that I definitely fall into the 'love it' column.

That said, his forays outside of Kevin Smith's Askewniverse have been pretty hit or miss. And if I'm honest, more miss than hit (Alvin and the Chipmunks, anyone?) But, every now and then, he'll stop reining it in for just one second, for just one line, and let loose the Jason Lee delivery.  And it's in that one moment, as my smile grows from ear to ear, I am reminded that even though he's no longer in the running for the top spot, he still belongs in the Top 10.  Scientology be damned.

Proof of Awesomeness:

*Sorry to disappoint any art enthusiasts that might have gained a modicum of respect for me reading this post, but my Man Crush was on Michelangelo the Ninja Turtle, not Michelangelo the sculptor/artist.  Sorry, I'm just not that cultured.  Well, that and I was six.  Cut me some slack.

No comments:

Post a Comment