Friday, April 29, 2011

Top 10 Favourite Cars (2007-2011)

All good things must come to an end.

Whether or not these lists have actually been any good is still up for debate - my drop in readership suggests that perhaps they haven't been.  My hope is that the subject matter itself - and not waning quality - is the actual reason for this, as I understand that slam dunk contests and sports cars aren't exactly everyone's cup of tea.  But I can only write what I know, and since I have a feeling not too many people want to read a weekly column about Tegan and Sara, I have to mix it up every once and a while with the other things that I enjoy.  And cars are certainly near the top of that list.

But, like I said, all good things must come to an end.  And the sun is most certainly setting on this current discussion about cars.  Despite the extra work that these lists took, I very much enjoyed making them, and I'll actually be sad to see them go.  It also means that I need to come up with some fresh subject matter pretty damn soon.  Whether this new topic will be enough to bring the likes of Danica and Katy back to my readership, only time will tell.



2010 Lotus Evora S
Layout: Mid Engine, Rear Wheel Drive
Engine: 3.5 L V6
Horsepower: 345 bhp
Torque: 295 ft lbs
Curb Weight: 3047 lbs
Top Speed: 172 mph
Zero to Sixty: 4.6 seconds


Ok, it has a Toyota Camry engine.  Go ahead, make fun all you want.  But I love the Evora.  If I was actually in the market for a $75,000 sports cars, I think my search would begin and end with the Lotus.  Sure, it's not as fast as the other cars on this list, and it's certainly not as powerful, but it has four seats, a bit of trunk space and is dead sexy.  If you're actually going to drive a car (more than once a month) then those sound like the sort of features you might actually like to have.  Oh, and that Camry engine that you were so eager to mock?  27 miles per gallon.  The Bugatti Veyron?  6.



2011 Lexus LFA
Layout: Front Engine, Rear Wheel Drive
Engine: 4.8 L V10
Horsepower: 552 bhp
Torque: 354 ft lbs
Curb Weight: 3570 lbs
Top Speed: 202 mph
Zero to Sixty: 3.6 seconds


Speaking of Toyota engines, they most certainly did not go with the Camry engine when outfitting this one.  The boys in Aichi, Japan were tasked with making a supercar for Toyota's upscale marquee, and it would appear as though they have delivered.  In spades.  But what they also delivered was a pretty hefty price tag, $350,000 to be exact.  And as sexy, and fast and stunningly engineered as the LFA is, at the end of the day, if I was in the market for a supercar in that price range, I doubt very much that I would find myself walking into a Lexus dealership.



2008 Maserati GrandTurismo S
Layout: Front Engine, Rear Wheel Drive
Engine: 4.7 L V8
Horsepower: 440 bhp
Torque: 361 ft lbs
Curb Weight: 4145 lbs
Top Speed: 183 mph
Zero to Sixty: 4.8 seconds


It's been pointed out to me that a lot of these lists are dominated by Ferrari.  And I can't argue against that point.  Ferrari is easily my favourite car manufacturer, both currently and historically.  But, seeing that the point is valid - I am perhaps a little biased - maybe I should allow other Italian cars to enjoy a bit of praise as well.  So how's this for turning things around?  Putting one of Ferrari's greatest rivals here most certainly proves that these lists are completely impartial, and purely objective, right?  What's that?  Ferrari took over Maserati in 1997, and saved it from the brink of bankruptcy?  Well, I was hoping you wouldn't notice that.



2011 McLaren MP4-12C
Layout: Mid Engine, Rear Wheel Drive
Engine: 3.8 L V8
Horsepower: 592 bhp
Torque: 443 ft lbs
Curb Weight: 2866 lbs
Top Speed: 205 mph
Zero to Sixty: 3.3 seconds


The jury is still out on this one.  Sure, it looks great.  Sure, the specs are impressive.  Sure, the McLaren name alone should earn it the benefit of the doubt.  But no one has been able to get their hands on it yet, so it could end up being a major disappointment.  If it's brilliant - which it probably will be - chances are it could be two or three spots higher.  Maybe even right at the number one spot.  Of course, maybe it will end up deserving to be lower.  Basically, what I'm saying is this: if it ends up being one of the greatest cars ever known to man, and you're reading back on these old lists in two years, wondering how I could even claim to like cars, at all, seeing that I have this now-proven-to-be-great car not even in my Top 5, let me assure you: I didn't know.  I swear, I didn't know.



2008 Lamborghini Gallardo LP 560-4
Layout: Mid Engine, All Wheel Drive
Engine: 5.2 L V10
Horsepower: 553 bhp
Torque: 398 ft lbs
Curb Weight: 3307 lbs
Top Speed: 202 mph
Zero to Sixty: 3.6 seconds


A funny thing happened to Lamborghini.  After many failed attempts at a smaller, more affordable alternative to their flagship supercars, they finally got it right.  In fact, they might have got it a little too right, because I like the Gallardo a fair bit more than the Murciélago.  And that just shouldn't be the case.  Bigger is better, and this 'baby-lambo' has two less cylinders and almost a hundred less horsepower than it's bigger brother.  Liking this one more than the Murciélago is akin to liking Stallone more than Schwarzenegger.  Or Scottie Pippen more than Michael Jordan.  It just shouldn't be the case.  And yet, here we are.  Maybe I need to re-watch Over The Top, and reconsider my stance on Stallone as well.



2011 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG
Layout: Front Engine, Rear Wheel Drive
Engine: 6.2 L V8
Horsepower: 563 bhp
Torque: 480 ft lbs
Curb Weight: 3800 lbs
Top Speed: 197 mph
Zero to Sixty: 3.7 seconds


Ok, the doors are a little gimmicky.  And sure, the rear end is no where near as sexy as the front.  But with the most powerful, naturally aspirated engine in the world, none of that matters.  In fact, in terms of a pure GT car, the SLS might just be the very best on the planet.  Sure, other cars accelerate quicker, are lighter and more nimble, and have higher top speeds.  And those same cars will pace a race track much, much faster.  But the SLS wasn't designed for a race track, just like most drivers weren't either.




2007 Aston Martin DBS
Layout: Front Engine, Rear Wheel Drive
Engine: 5.9 L V12
Horsepower: 510 bhp
Torque: 420 ft lbs
Curb Weight: 3740 lbs
Top Speed: 191 mph
Zero to Sixty: 4.3 seconds


The current styling of the Aston Martin stable has been going strong since 2004.  While most cars start showing their age after that much time, the DB9 and DBS continue to rank amoung the sexiest cars in the world.  In fact, it's hard to imagine how they could possibly make it look any better than it already does.  Of course, I said the same thing about the DB7 when they announced the DB9 as it's replacement early last decade, and they certainly proved me wrong.



2008 Lamborghini Reventón
Layout: Mid Engine, All Wheel Drive
Engine: 6.5 L V12
Horsepower: 631 bhp
Torque: 487 ft lbs
Curb Weight: unknown
Top Speed: 221 mph
Zero to Sixty: unknown


I may like the Gallardo more than the Murciélago, but that comparison does not include the Reventón.  Although, technically, it's based upon the Murciélago, it's also based on stealth fighter planes.  And this makes it quite possibly the most stunning Lamborghini ever to roll out of Sant'Agata Bolognese.  Everything about this car makes me drool.  Too bad they only made 20 of them.



2009 Aston Martin One-77
Layout: Front Engine, Rear Wheel Drive
Engine: 7.3 L V12
Horsepower: 750 bhp
Torque: 553 ft lbs
Curb Weight: 3307 lbs
Top Speed: 220 mph
Zero to Sixty: 3.5 seconds


Speaking of limited production supercars, only 77 of these glorious Aston's will ever see the light of day.  And while it may be a bit too over-the-top, styling-wise, compared to the DB9 or DBS, the performance numbers cannot be ignored.  Aston Martin has made some truely great cars over the years, and this might just be the best of them all.




2010 Ferrari 458 Italia
Layout: Mid Engine, Rear Wheel Drive
Engine: 4.5 L V8
Horsepower: 562 bhp
Torque: 398 ft lbs
Curb Weight: 3048 lbs
Top Speed: 202 mph
Zero to Sixty: 3.3 seconds


Of course I'm going to end off with a Ferrari.  It was inevitable.  But this is not simply a case of me shoehorning an undeserving car into the top spot in order to end with a Prancing Horse.  No, no.  This car absolutely needs to be here.  I mean, just look at it.  It's absolutely breathtaking (and even more-so in person).  And the fun doesn't stop there.  It has been engineered to the very brink of perfection.  I'm not sure if there is anything on this planet that I would rather have... except for maybe a genie, who looks just like Jessica Alba, that can grant me a thousand wishes, and shits hundred dollar bills.  But let's be honest, I would just use those hundred dollar bills to pay for gas, and those thousand wishes for a thousand 458 Italias.



Honourable Mentions:
2010 Porsche 911 Turbo S
2010 Audi R8 GT
2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1
2008 Nissan GT-R
2007 Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione

No comments:

Post a Comment