Friday, May 6, 2011

Top 10 Favourite Cars (Pre-1950)

Ok, I lied.  Like a junkie trying to get off heroin, I need to ween myself off of Car Lists.  I can't just go cold-turkey.  I need a little methadone.

And that's exactly what this post is going to be.  Methadone.  Not as good as real heroin, but it will have to do.  You see, as I've mentioned before, I'm not really that passionate about the pre-war era of cars.  There's some fun stuff, sure, but when it comes to sorting them into a Top Ten list, I just simply don't have a horse in this race.  I was still able to hunt down a few that look kind of cool, even if they're not particularly near-and-dear to my heart, and as such, I can put them in order based on my gut reaction to them.  But this is by no means a definitive list.

Basically what I'm trying to convey here is that, unlike previous lists - where I hemmed and hawed, and scrutinized every car, and made sure that each was in the proper order on the list -  this week, I'm pretty much just looking at the pictures and going 'yeah, that looks cool, I'll make it number 5...'

Also, I apologize for the short write ups that each are likely to receive.  When you're not passionate about a car, you tend not to have a whole lot to say about it either.



1949 Oldsmobile Rocket 88
Layout: Front Engine, Rear Wheel Drive
Engine: 5.0 L V8
Horsepower: 135 bhp
Torque: unknown
Curb Weight: unknown
Top Speed: unknown
Zero to Sixty: unknown


Although fairly different compared to the other cars on this list, it's still pre-1950, and it definitely deserves to be here.  Why?  Because even though the GTO popularized it, the Rocket 88 is considered by many people to be the first true Muscle Car.



1930 Mercedes-Benz 770
Layout: Front Engine, Rear Wheel Drive
Engine: 7.7 L Inline-8
Horsepower: 150 bhp
Torque: unknown
Curb Weight: unknown
Top Speed: 100 mph
Zero to Sixty: unknown


I'm a little torn about putting a vehicle on this list that was once the personal car of Adolf Hitler.  But I guess you can't really blame Mercedes for making the best car available at the time.  I mean, it's not like they could have told the Führer that they'd rather he wasn't seen in their cars.  Besides, if Michael Jordan can try to bring back the famous Hitler mustache, I think it's relatively safe for me to list a German Luxury car from the 30's at number nine.  Or should I say, number nein?

(Note to the easily offended: that wasn't a holocaust joke.  It was just a really shitty pun.)



1938 Bugatti Type 57SC Atlantic
Layout: Front Engine, Rear Wheel Drive
Engine: 3.3 L Inline-8
Horsepower: 210 bhp
Torque: unknown
Curb Weight: 2101 lbs
Top Speed: 125 mph
Zero to Sixty: 10 seconds


Oh, Bugatti, even back in the 30's you were making cars that were absolutely insane.  Don't ever change.



1934 Mercedes-Benz 500K
Layout: Front Engine, Rear Wheel Drive
Engine: 5.0 L Straight-8
Horsepower: 160 bhp
Torque: unknown
Curb Weight: 6000 lbs
Top Speed: 100 mph
Zero to Sixty: unknown


I think this car was the inspiration for the one that Cruella De Vil drove in the One Hundred and One Dalmatians cartoon.  If that alone doesn't justify seventh place, I don't know what will. (Ok, after a quick search, it was actually the Bugatti Royale, but I have nothing better to say about this car, so I'm just going to leave it as is).



1937 Alfa Romeo 8C 2900B
Layout: Front Engine, Rear Wheel Drive
Engine: 2.9 L Inline-8
Horsepower: 180 bhp
Torque: unknown
Curb Weight: 2755 lbs
Top Speed: unknown
Zero to Sixty: unknown


Let's get the obvious out of the way right now.  It's very phallic (although I suppose most cars from this era were).  In fact, if we're still pointing out which cars might have inspired certain cartoons, then I think this one could easily be considered as the basis for the sports car that Peter bought in Family Guy to overcompensate for not having a big enough... well, you know.



1936 Delahaye 135 S Court Competition Teardrop Coupe
Layout: Front Engine, Rear Wheel Drive
Engine: 3.2 L Straight-6
Horsepower: 110 bhp
Torque: unknown
Curb Weight: 2800 lbs
Top Speed: 92 mph
Zero to Sixty: unknown


Now we're talking.  I quite enjoy the rounded, flared fender look that come out of this era.  I'd never heard of Delahaye prior to seeing this picture, but this is exactly what I would be looking for if I ever wanted a car from the 30's.




1930 Mercedes-Benz SSK "Count Trossi"
Layout: Front Engine, Rear Wheel Drive
Engine: 7.1 L Straight-6
Horsepower: 300 bhp
Torque: 507 ft lbs
Curb Weight: 3750 lbs
Top Speed: 120 mph
Zero to Sixty: unknown


This one was actually designed by Ferdinand Porsche.  It was the last thing he ever did for Mercedes before leaving to try his hand at his own automobile company.  And we all know how that turned out...



1907 Rolls Royce 40/50 Silver Ghost
Layout: Front Engine, Rear Wheel Drive
Engine: 7.0 L Straight-6
Horsepower: 48 bhp
Torque: unknown
Curb Weight: unknown
Top Speed: unknown
Zero to Sixty: unknown


This car is considered by many to be the most valuable in the world.  If you thought $10 million for a Ferrari was bad, this one has a current estimated value of $57 million.



1935 Lancia Astura 233C Aerodynamica
Layout: Front Engine, Rear Wheel Drive
Engine: 3.0 L V8
Horsepower: 82 bhp
Torque: unknown
Curb Weight: 3968 lbs
Top Speed: 79 mph
Zero to Sixty: 20 seconds


Just like the Delahaye at number five, this one has the swooping lines and teardrop fenders that I love from this era.  Factor in the  Lancia badge and we almost have top spot material.




1932 Ford Model B De Luxe Coupe
Layout: Front Engine, Rear Wheel Drive
Engine: 3.6 L V8
Horsepower: 65 bhp
Torque: unknown
Curb Weight: unknown
Top Speed: unknown
Zero to Sixty: unknown



...almost.

Sure, judging by the above picture alone, this car might not seem like number one spot material.  Au contraire.  You see, while most of the other cars on this list have no real place in my car-lovin' heart, the Model B most certainly does.  Forget T-Bucket Roadsters and the like.  With the exception of maybe the '57 Chevy, the Deuce Coupe is my favourite Hot Rod style ever.



Honourable Mentions:
1931 Cadillac 452A V16 All-Weather Phaeton
1925 Rolls Royce Phantom I
1936 Rolls Royce 25/30

1 comment:

  1. Don't forget the top 10 "Hollywood" cars. (think Batman, Inspector Gadget, Knight Rider)

    ReplyDelete