Friday, September 16, 2011

My Summer of B-List Celebrity Encounters, Part 5 (Prologue)

I'm not going to lie.  This post was supposed to be much better than this.  You see, this week's celebrity encounter doesn't just exist as a few poorly strung together sentences describing the lacklustre memories of a man that obviously doesn't get out very much.  No, this week's encounter was captured on video.  Glorious high definition video.

It was my full intention to have that footage edited together into a riveting narrative, and posted here, without so much as a single word to describe it.  Just the title of the post, and the video embedded within to do all the talking.  I even purposefully saved this entry until last in order to make sure I had the necessary time to do so.

But the problem is that I do not possess this footage.  It is currently stored under the watchful eye of one Randal Tiberius Sneep. And I wanted it to be a surprise.  So, rather than say 'hey, I have a bunch of week nights with nothing better to do coming up, why don't you give me that footage and I'll edit it together' I instead tried to drop more subtle hints like 'man, I'd really like to see that footage some time and see how lame we were.'  In hopes that I could get the footage from him, without tipping my hat to the fact that I was editing it as well.

The problem is, I was blinded by my desire to have this post be a surprise.  I mean, obviously he knew I would be writing about this encounter, having been along for the ride with me.  But I was hoping to completely blindside him with a finished video rather than the usual write up.  What I did not consider, was that having something - anything - was better than nothing at all.  And if I had just taken the time to really try to get the footage from him, I would have something to post today, even if it was less of a surprise than originally planned.  Instead I still have the full benefit of a surprise, but nothing to show for it.

I made one last ditch attempt to get the footage last night, dropping the ruse, and basically asking flat out to get my hands on it, in hopes that if I plugged away late into the night and perhaps even this morning, it would still be a complete surprise that I was able to put something together so quickly and have it posted today.  But that fell through, and now, instead, I'm left with this.  The written word.

Sorry.

But, I am not going to give up hope.  I think after reading this, Randy will be very proactive in trying to get the footage into my hands, and I will make it my pledge to you fine people, that this time next week, I will have that video piece edited together, and posted right here.  So, I won't spoil the story of this celebrity encounter now, with a half-assed, heart-not-fully-in-it write up, when hopefully* the footage we shot is good enough to tell the story.  The surprise may be completely spoiled, but the tale… well, as you can probably already tell from this epic tease, that is a story for another day.

*I say hopefully, because for all I know the footage is completely unusable.  In which case, I ain't posting a second of it...

1 comment: